By Erik Qualman
[tweetmeme source=”equalman” only_single=false http://socialnomics.net/%5D
The Old Spice Guy has taken social media by storm. If you haven’t been exposed [no pun intended] to any of this yet, below is a quick summary of what you have been missing.
Old Spice Guy Quick Facts:
- Wieden & Kennedy created the spots for Proctor & Gamble
- Role is played by former NFL player Isaiah Mustafa
- 2 of the :30 videos have over 25,000,000 combined views
- @oldspice Twitter account has over 90,000 followers
- Old Spice guy was responding to tweets with personalized video messages [see @NHLBlackhawks Response below]; creating over 180 unique videos
- Old Spice YouTube Channel was the most viewed in July, 2010
- 107% sales increase for body wash over July (Nielsen); sales increased 55% over the previous three months
Parodies quickly started propagating YouTube and where encouraged. One of the better ones is this spot from the Harold B. Lee Library Multimedia Production Crew. This production crew consists of two full time employees and ten student employees. View the video below and click here for behind the scenes video of this parody.
Old Spice Guy Answers Tweet from Blackhawks
Love the response in the above video to what he would do with the Stanley Cup for a day [note to non-sports enthusiasts, the Blackhawks won the NHL Stanley Cup this year and the tradition is that each player from the team gets the giant silver cup for one day]. Response was:
“I would fill the cup portion with a health smoothy drink, consisting of explosive missile bits, the spirit of a mountain ram and the tail rotor of an Apache helicopter.”
Kudos to @NHLBlackhawks for submitting such a creative question and garnering more exposure for their franchise. Sadly it appears Old Spice guy will no longer be doing video responses based on the below video: